Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Another week to report

July 14, 2013 -- Sunday, We were greeted by several people in the ward when we came into the chapel.  We sat with Brother and Sister Cox whom we met last night at the B-B-Q and visited with them for quite a while.  Brother Cox in the Executive Secretary of the ward and they are both really nice people.  The Bishop introduced us to the ward and had us stand up so they could see us, welcoming us to the ward. 

The Bishop had told us that he wanted to talk to us during Sunday school time so we followed him to his office after Sacrament meeting.  We started with prayer, and then he gave us each a ward list to mark and make notes.  He told us of about 10 people he wanted us to try to visit, then told us about them and their inactivity and why.  We did ask for a list of people in the ward with callings so we could refer members to whoever they had a need to visit or call.  He told us he wants to meet with us regularly as well so he can keep abreast of what we have found out in the ward, if he hasn’t found out before.

July 15, 2013 – Monday, In our planning this morning of what we need to do this week we decided to make up a notebook with alphabetical tabs and add sheets for the families we are going to concentrate on and write a little about them and results of our visits.  We bought a notebook, dividers, lined paper.  We took our pamphlets over to Staples to have them spiral bound together so they are easier to handle and use all together.  I had made a form to have copied while at Staples of who we are contacting with their phone numbers and addresses, plus another form for the key people in the ward if we needed to contact them.  Took us a little while to find the things we needed. We worked on this project the rest of the day.

July 16, 2013 – Tuesday, Headed out to attend the 10:40AM session at the Temple in Langley.  It is actually called the Vancouver British Columbia Temple. The traffic was going pretty good when it came to a slow, stop and go traffic for the next 45 minutes, slowing us down for that session so we decided on the 11:50 session. We walked around the temple taking pictures before going inside for the session.  It is a smaller building and only 2 Endowment rooms so the sessions are 90 minutes apart and only 3 in the morning on Tuesdays.  We were thinking of going to the distribution center as well since we were there but after looking at the schedule the center in not open until Wednesday.  We have been told that the distribution center is pretty small and they don’t carry much other than garments.

While waiting for the session to start we were asked to be the witness couple, which we gladly did.  There weren’t very many brothers in the session (5) and about 12 sisters, so not a very big group.  We had a feeling that we would be asked because we were the only couple sitting in the chapel for quite a while before other brethren started to come in.

After the session was over we came downstairs to get our temple card and met Brother and Sister Irving from the ward.  They work in the temple and worked the session we missed, but there were lots of missionaries that attended that session so we would have had to sit in the back or have had to bring in some chairs. They were missionaries serving in the Surrey area.  Visited with them a short time before they left and we collected our temple card.  The drive home was much better; it took us only about 35 minutes to get back home.   

Made some phone calls to make visits in Hope on Thursday, we wanted to check out the area of Hope anyway.  We called 3 families and got a commitment from them starting at 3:00PM, Sister Desiree Rothwell; 4:00PM Betty & Jim Smith; 5:00PM Norm & Bev Lawlor.  Didn’t get a call back from Lynn Smith.

July 17, 2013 – Wednesday, We set up a meeting with the Collings for 10:00AM to talk about who they are working with in the ward and who we have been asked to visit as well.  We had a good visit and finding out that they were working with some of the people in Chilliwack that the bishop had asked us to visit.  We will have coordinate with them a little more so we don't duplicate our efforts.

Went to the Visitors Center here in Chilliwack, which is just next door to us here in the park, to see what kind of street maps we could get of the 3 cities we will be working in.  We want to try to locate where some of the people we will be meeting tomorrow, that maybe the GPS won’t pick up. (just kidding)  Got a pretty good map of Chilliwack, but Agassiz and Hope weren’t as good.

To be continued ....


  1. Mom & Dad,

    It's fun catching up on what you've been up to in your daily activities...sounds great! I hope you keep some kind of detailed list like this going so we can follow your stories.

    Love ya!

  2. It's great to hear how your mission is going! Take care

    The Lamberts